Driving safely at all times is the best way to keep yourself and those around you safe on the road. In addition, having a demonstrated record of good driving can help you keep your insurance premiums low.
Our agency reminds you to follow these safe driving tips when you are behind the wheel:
- Do not talk on your cell phone while driving.
- Do not text and drive.
- Always turn on your headlights.
- Obey the posted speed limit.
- Stay focused on the road and minimize distractions.
- Inexperienced drivers should keep passengers to a minimum.
- Keep your vehicle in good condition.
- Keep a safe distance behind other vehicles.
- Be alert for other drivers who are tailgating, signaling inconsistently, turning abruptly, swerving and speeding.
- Don’t be an aggressive driver.
- Be aware of your surroundings and potentially dangerous situations.
- Stay focused on driving and avoid distractions.
- Never make assumptions about other drivers’ intentions.
- Use your directional signals when you are going to turn, stop or change lanes.
- Always try to brake smoothly and gradually; do not slam on your brakes.
- Keep pace with the traffic around you.
- Be on the lookout for animals at dusk and at dawn when they are most active.
- Always adjust your speed for conditions, even if those around you do not.
A Special Note About Texting and Driving
Texting and driving is perhaps the most dangerous form of distracted driving. Texting while driving places teens and adults alike—and others on the road with them—in serious danger. In fact, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, driver distraction causes 18% of all fatal auto crashes, and text messaging creates a crash risk 23 times worse than driving while not distracted.