Are you traveling for the holidays?
Here are 15 top tips to keep your home safe while you are away.
- Make sure alarm systems and motion sensors are in place and working properly. Connect these to your phone to monitor activity at all times of day.
- Use automatic lights to scare potential robbers away.
- Let a neighbor know you are leaving and the amount of time you will be gone.
- Keep all trees and bushes trimmed. Overgrown shrubbery can be a good place for burglars to hide.
- Unplug appliances to avoid fires and excess electric use.
- Keep your thermostat as low as possible. This will save you money on electricity.
- Close windows and blinds so intruders cannot see in.
- Double-check all doors and windows are locked.
- Arrange for mail/newspapers to be temporarily stopped or have a neighbor pick these up for you. Piled up deliveries could signal a vacant home and make your house a target for intruders.
- Make sure holiday decorations are running properly to avoid disasters while Check that all plug-in lights and decorations are in proper condition as not to start a fire, while you are away.
- Consider placing a camera on your home and linking to your phone to keep an eye on activity.
- Keep a car in the driveway to trick potential intruders into thinking someone is home.
- Avoid broadcasting the vacation via social media. You don’t want the world to know your home is left unattended.
- Hire a snow removal service or neighbor to keep your driveway and paths clear when you return.
- Leave a spare key with a neighbor.
- Lock away valuables in a safe.
Have a safe and happy holiday from Joseph W. McCartin Insurance!