Trusted Choice® independent insurance agents provide disaster preparedness and safety tips as hurricane season begins.
ALEXANDRIA, Va., May 25, 2011 – As the United States experiences and recovers from tumultuous weather, with parts of the South and Midwest reeling from the destruction of fierce recent tornados and flooding, forecasters predict shifting weather patterns and many named storms as hurricane season officially begins next week on June 1.
Yet, according to a 2010 survey by Trusted Choice® and the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers (the Big “I” or IIABA), many Americans are unprepared for a disaster. More than half of respondents (51%) admitted they are only somewhat prepared, and more than a fifth of households (22.7%) reported that they were not prepared at all. Almost 36% said they don’t have or don’t know if they even have adequate insurance coverage to help them through a disaster.
Trusted Choice® independent insurance agents can address these issues and more as extreme weather bears down on much of the country and can also offer disaster-specific readiness and recovery tips for consumers. Trusted Choice® experts can help:
- Sort through coverage confusion when severe weather damages or destroys residential or business property
- Advise how business interruption coverage is impacted by hurricanes and other disasters
- Explain hurricane safety and flood readiness tips, including home and business inventory prep and utilities check-listing
- Supply information on the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)
- Detail safe evacuation procedures
- Discuss how to recover from storm and flood losses, whether or not the property is insured
- Provide suggestions on emergency repairs and rebuilding
- Offer tips for “drying out” safely and replacing belongings